About the Spirit of Tennis Scholarship Program
Tennis is a wonderful sport with proven benefits to the overall and long-term health of the mind and body. Tennis encourages teamwork, compassion for others, a strong work ethic, physical fitness, civic engagement, leadership and many other positive attributes. Tennis also engages all types of athletes and facilitates lifelong bonds of friendship.
The RTA launched the “Spirit of Tennis Scholarship Program” in 2019 to support Raleigh residents pursuing post-secondary education in the state of North Carolina whose lives in and out of the classroom and on and off the court, reflect the spirit of tennis. A maximum of three (3) scholarships, in the amount of one at $2,500, one at $1,500, one at $1,000 will be awarded to high school seniors in the Spring of 2020. The scholarship application will be accessible beginning February 24, 2020 and ending June 29, 2020. RTA will accept applications for the scholarship program. Applications will be reviewed by the RTA Serves committee and recommended to the RTA Board of Directors for approval. Selected winners will be announced no later than July 17, 2020. (Scholarships will be sent directly to the colleges/universities where awardees are enrolled.)
Criteria for Prospective Scholarship Awardees
- Must be a current resident of the city of Raleigh.
- Must attend high school in Raleigh and be on track to graduate by June 2020.
- Must provide proof of acceptance and intend to enroll in a 2-year or 4-year college or university in the Fall 2020.
- Must be able to demonstrate participation in tennis leagues, tournaments, programs or other special events recognized by RTA.
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA as of the end of the fall semester 2019; must provide a current transcript.
-Application Release Date: February 24, 2020
-Application Close Date: June 29, 2020
-Application review by RTA committee: July 10, 2020
-Award winners announced: no later than July 17, 2020
-College/University school ID will be required by July 24, 2020
-Scholarship funds will be sent directly to college/university by August 7, 2020
Please fill out the application below if you are interested in applying.