2023 RTA Winter League
Are you ready to bundle up and play tennis all winter? If so, the RTA Winter League is a good option for you! League play will begin October 30 and run through January with breaks for Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays. The RTA Winter League does not count toward your USTA NTRP rating and USTA membership is not required. Players will use their 2023 USTA rating level and continue to compete at that level even if it changes in November for 2024.
Team registration will open on September 18 and close on October 13. You may continue to add players throughout the season.
The RTA Winter League season consists of regular-season matches with no playoffs. The match format will be three courts of doubles.
There are two age divisions: 18 & Over (2.5 - 4.5) and 55 & Over (3.0 - 4.0). You must be at least 18 to play in this league.
Teams must have a minimum roster of eight players and no more than 25 players. At least three players must be at the NTRP level of the league.
All matches are best two out of three sets with a third-set match-tiebreaker in lieu of a third set.
You may play on two teams per division, but they must be in different time slots (for example, you may play on a weekday 3.0 team and a weekend 3.0 team) and may also play 0.5 above your rating.
All registration and payment ($23/player) will be processed through www.matchtime.com. Registration includes an RTA Winter League gift. All players requesting a refund of their registration fee must email the league coordinator at email@example.com. No refunds will be given for any reason after the team’s first scheduled match.
City courts are billed through Millbrook Tennis Center at $30/match.
Clay court facilities need to have access to hard courts in case courts are not playable due to the weather. If none are available, city courts should be reserved and used.
USTA and local league rules apply (The Code and Friend at Court). Local rules will be distributed to captains.
Players must turn 18 before registering (or 55 by 12/31/23). Use your current 2023 NTRP rating for the entirety of this league. Players without a valid NTRP rating should self-rate at usta.com. There is no fee, but you’ll need to create a USTA account.
Teams have the option to reschedule if the “real feel” temperature is forecast to be lower than 35 degrees at match start time. Both captains should check the hourly forecast using the location of their match on AccuWeather.com. If captains still want to consider playing any of the courts, both must be in agreement. When matches are rescheduled, the new date and time confirmed will be treated as the new match date and must be played and scores recorded within three weeks of the original match date. Makeups must be arranged within 48 hours.
Team Registration will start September 19, 2023
Captains, please fill out the form at this link prior to registering your team (for LLC use) and review the Team Captain Registration and Instructions section below. Once you have filled out the above-mentioned form, please register for your team on www.matchtime.com, available on September 19th.
Players, please read the Player Registration & Instructions at the bottom of this page.
If you do not have a team but want to play, you can sign up at this link (please read the information page on the link before signing up).
Play Days - Women
Weekday 18 & Over Women: 10:30 a.m.
Weekend 18 & Over Women 1:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m.
Weekday 55 & Over Women: 10:30 a.m.
Weekend 55 & Over Women: 1:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m.
Play Days - Men
18 & Over Men: **Matches will be played in the evening in November and weekend afternoons in December and January.
2.5: Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Sundays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
3.0: Monday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Saturdays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
3.5: Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Sundays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
4.0: Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Saturdays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
4.5: Monday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Sundays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
55 & Over Men: **Matches will be played in the evening in November and weekend afternoons in December and January.
3.0: Monday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Sundays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
3.5: Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Saturdays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
4.0: Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in November and Sundays in December and January at 1:00, 3:00, or 5:00 p.m.
* The 1:00 p.m time will be used as the primary time. We will use the 3:00 or 5:00 p.m. slots only as needed due to court availability.
Team Captain Registration & Instructions
Team captains are an invaluable part of the team -- the captain’s duties are broad-reaching from keeping all informed about match details, selecting who is playing in the lineup for a given match, entering the match scores, and even working to keep the team a team. Listed below are the different steps a team captain will take with their team:
1. Sign up Your Team for the RTA Winter League 2023 at www.matchtime.com: You should use the same email address as the league coordinator is using and after signing up, your team will be automatically visible in your account. MAKE SURE YOU AND YOUR PLAYERS ARE USING THE SAME EMAIL THAT IS IN YOUR MATCHTIME PROFILE. Otherwise, the system will not recognize your registration and will apply your fee incorrectly.
2. Add Your Players: You add your players using the “add/edit players” link on the “matches & teams” (top tab navigation) page. You only need a player’s name and email address to add them to the team. After adding all your players, the checkbox next to their name (in the list on the right side of the page) should be checked since they are probably not yet a MatchTime member. Click the “send invite email to checked” button and all of your players will get a customized message for each one inviting them to register and signup for the team. Each player will fill out his/her registration details and be automatically dropped into the team upon registration as well. Make sure that your players are using their updated 2023 USTA NTRP in their MatchTime profile.
3. Match Schedule: The league coordinator will create the “match schedule” which will show you your opponent match dates, locations, and times. The team schedule is visible from the “matches & teams” page. Before the schedule is published, you will purely see a list of your players and be able to add/edit your players or email the team.
4. Match Availability: Each player can mark whether he/she is available or not from the “Set/View Availability” page (link found on the “matches & teams” page above the match schedule on the far left). It can be very helpful on the captain already knowing who is available to play which match. Availability can ONLY be set after the schedule is published. We do recommend after the schedule is published by the league administrator, that the captain email the team about the schedule and direct players to set their availability.
5. Match Lineup: Captains and co-captains can all “create lineup”. The lineup is the list of players playing each line.
6. Match Confirmation Email: After creating the lineup, you can automatically email all your players alerting them to who is in the lineup. Those in the lineup can also confirm on MatchTime that they are still available to play and will be there -- this gives a little peace of mind knowing that the player is aware he is in the lineup and will be there at the match. Some captains may choose to not create a match lineup before the match -- this is OK too. The lineup will need to be created though before the match scores can be entered.
7. Play the Match: Go have lots of fun and win your matches! You can print a “match scorecard” (PDF file) and take it with you to the match so that you can mark down all the match scores. Remember to also fill in your opponent’s players who played each line as well since that is required when entering scores. The match scorecard makes this easy and has both team’s rosters on the scorecard.
8. Enter Match Scores: Captains can enter the match scores after the match is played. Remember to get the names of your opponents since the captain entering the scores will need to enter the opposing players for each line as well. There is an automatic 48-hour auto-approve for the opposing captain after the scores have been entered. Any score conflicts can be edited by the league coordinator. If a match is played early, the scores can be entered early as well.
Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 through all of your matches throughout the entire season.
Player Registration & Instructions
Below are the steps for team players for getting the best experience on MatchTime.
1. Player Registration
You should use the same email address as your team captain used for you (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!)— check out your “team invite email” to confirm the email address used. After signing up, your team will be automatically visible in your account. Make sure that you are using your updated 2023 USTA NTRP in your MatchTime profile.
2. Match Availability
Each player can mark whether they are available or not for a given match from the “Set/View Availability” page (link found on the “matches & teams” page above the match schedule on the far left).
3. Match Lineup Confirmation
If your captain publishes the lineup before the match, it is best to confirm in your MatchTime account so that your captain knows you will be there and you are aware where in the lineup to play.
Play your matches and have lots of fun!
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!!
RTA Winter League participants!
RTA Winter League participants!
RTA Winter League participants!
RTA Winter League participants!